Sunday, May 17, 2020

Sunday ~ May 17, 2020

Let me tell you why I come to church. I come to church - and would whether I was a preacher or not - because I fall below my own standards and need to be constantly brought back to them. I am afraid of becoming selfish and indulgent, and my church - my church of the free spirit - brings me back to what I want to be. I could easily despair; doubt and dismay could overwhelm me. My church renews my courage and my hope. It is not enough that I should think about the world and its problems at the level of a newspaper report or magazine discussion. It could too soon become too low a level. I must have my conscience sharpened - sharpened until it goads me to the most thorough and responsible thinking of which I am capable. I must feel again the love I owe to others. I must not only hear about it but feel it. In church, I do. I am brought toward my best, in every way toward my best.

(A. Powell Davies, 1902 - 1957)

Followers

Blog Archive